Death and the Powers, a powerful new opera by composer Tod Machover, will be streamed to Bing Concert Hall in a live simulcast from Dallas Opera. Arrive early for the pre-show content starting at 11:30am.
The remote experience will be enhanced with optional multimedia content which gives the audience at Bing an omniscient view of the action of the opera and access to the inner world of the main character, Simon Powers. Visitors who wish to access the optional content are encouraged to bring their fully-charged smart phones or tablets and download the special Death and the Powers app.
Downloading the app prior to arrival at Bing is strongly recommended!
- Proceed to the Apple App Store or Google Play for Android devices. Search for “Powers Live” to find the free app. Tap install to download to your device.
- Once downloaded to your device, touch the Powers Live icon to launch the app.
- Select the "Stanford" venue.
- Instructions about accessing the Stanford wifi network will be provided at the simulcast.
WIFI access at Bing
Members of the Stanford community who already have registered access to the “Stanford” wifi network from anywhere on campus (students, staff, faculty) will NOT need to make any changes or take any of the following actions.
The general public (without prior registered access) will need to follow these instructions:
- Select “Settings" from the home screen
- Select “wifi”
- Under “choose a network” select “Stanford Visitor”
- Please wait: once a connection is established a user agreement will automatically appear.
- Select “accept.” You are now online and ready to open the “Powers Live”App.
This one-act, full-length work tells the story of Simon Powers, a rich and powerful businessman and inventor, who wishes to perpetuate his existence beyond the decay of his physical being. Couched in music that is ravishing and radical, Death and the Powers incorporates a visionary new technology into an expressively animated stage, the interactive musical Chandelier, and a chorus of robots.